There are so many cool & fun events going on in NYC for kids and families at Christmas time! Here’s a list of the TOP things to do with kids this holiday season in New York.
You might also want to check out: Top Christmas Attractions in NY.
Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade & Balloon Inflation
UPPER WEST SIDE | MIDTOWN
- Balloon inflation: Wed, Nov. 21 | 1-8pm.
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade: Thus, Nov. 22 | 9am-Noon.
- Both are Free to Attend!
Winter’s Eve at Lincoln Square
UPPER WEST SIDE
Free entertainment & live music, family fun, outdoor food tastings & more!
- Monday, Nov. 26, 2018.
- Along Broadway from Columbus Circle to 70th St.
- 5:30 to 9pm.
Holiday Party at Madison Square Park
Holiday treats, live performances & the tree lighting! There will be ornament decorating, pupchinos & hot chocolate, coloring activities, samples & more!
Children could win a Lego set & adults could win 2 Tickets to Celebrate Mad. Sq. Chefs this July!
- Dec. 6, 2018 @ 3:30 – 5:30pm.
45th Annual Merry Tuba Christmas
Christmas carols and other crowd favorites. Tubists of all ages (including kids!) will line up under the famous Christmas tree and fill the plaza with the organ-line sound of low brass. Spectators are encouraged to sing along with the Christmas carols and holiday favorites.
- Dec. 9, 2018 @ 3:30pm.
- Free for all!
Christmas Eve Caroling
WASHINGTON SQUARE PARK
Enjoy the holiday carols at the park!
- Mon Dec 24, 2018.
- 5pm to 6pm.
The best Ice Skating rinks for kids are the ones at Bryant Park & Brookfield Place that offer Skate-Aids to help kids skate. Also, the one at Central Park, the favorite one for New Yorker Families because it’s bigger and less crowded than the one at Bryant Park.
Fun Winter activity in Christmas with Kids!
The holiday window displays at Macy’s are always a must to see.
Same with the ones at Bloomingdale’s and Saks Fifth Ave.
This year Bloomingdale’s has an indoor Ice Skating rink inside the store & a hot-chocolate bar! Of course, it’s a smaller rink compared to the one at Bryant Park but still cool.
Saks Light Show
Breathtaking! It’s absolutely stunning to see! You and your kids will be amazed. I live here and I go every year to see this light show! It’ll put you in the holiday spirit for sure and you’ll feel the magic.
Daily starting 5pm to 11pm, every 10 minutes.
An annual tradition at Macy’s in Christmas with Kids in NY! Your chance to take a photo with Santa while being immersed into the North Pole.
Holiday Train Show at Grand Central
A cute and small display inside Grand Central Terminal with cute trains coming and going. Fun for little kids to see.
Located in the Shuttle Passage at the NY Transit Museum Gallery. Inside the terminal in the direction of 43rd St & Madison Ave.
- Nov. 15, 2018 – Feb. 24, 2019.
- Monday to Friday: 8am – 8pm.
- Saturday & Sunday: 10am – 6pm.
Holiday Train Show at NY Botanical Garden
Annual holiday tradition! Enchanting model trains zip through a display of more than 175 New York landmarks, each re-created with bark, leaves, and other natural materials.
- Nov. 27 – Jan. 21
- Advance reservations are strongly recommended.
- Weekday Tickets: Adults $20-$23, Children (2-12) $10. Free for kids under 2.
- Weekend Tickets: Adults $28-$30, Children (2-12) $18. Free for kids under 2.
- Tuesday to Sunday: 10am – 6pm. Monday Openings: December 17, 24, & 31; January 21
WORLD TRADE CENTER
A magical journey to the top of One World Observatory with family-friendly displays, drinks & dining and Santa visits.
Opening Nov. 26, 2018 through Jan. 7, 2019!
Trolls The Experience
MIDTOWN / CLOSE TO COLUMBUS CIRCLE
Enter into the world of Trolls. A super fun, interactive and colorful adventure for kids of all ages with real Trolls!
- Nov. to middle/end of May, 2019.
- Tickets: $40.
- Monday to Friday: 10am – 8pm.
- Saturday to Sunday: 9am – 8pm.
A cool pop-up, huge, where everything’s made out of candy. Super creative and fun. You can grab free candies in every single room! They extended the dates so you can enjoy it in Christmas with Kids in NYC.
- Through. Jan. 6, 2019.
- Tickets: $26-$34.
- Monday – Saturday: 10am to 8:30pm.
- Sunday: 11am to 8:30pm.
Mickey Mouse Exhibition
MEATPACKING / CHELSEA
Huge Mickey exhibit celebrating 90 Years of Mickey Mouse and his influence on art & pop culture.
- Through Feb. 10, 2019.
- Tickets: $38.
- Tuesday – Sunday: 10am – 8pm. Closed on Mondays.
Museum of Illusions
A smart & fun playroom for the brain while discovering an intriguing visual, sensual and educational experience.
- Daily, 9am – 10pm.
- Tickets: $15-$19. Free for kids under 6.
Dyker Heights Christmas Lights
If you’re in Manhattan it’s a little trip to get there but totally worth it! It’s the best Christmas Neighborhood in NY! Magical and AMAZING!
- The weekend after Thanksgiving through New Year’s Eve.
GingerBread Lane at NY Hall of Science
You can make your own gingerbread houses or trains in their popular workshop that sells out every year! Each participant receives a kit with all of the materials that baker Jon Lovitch uses to create his GingerBread Lane exhibition: gingerbread pieces, icing and candy.More info here.
- Nov. 10, 2018 to Jan. 21, 2019
- Free with Museum admission: $14-$16.
- Workshop: for ages 4 & older. $15 per project + museum admission.
Head to the Theater | Christmas with Kids in NY
- Frozen the Musical on Broadway. How to get cheap tickets. Book in advance since it’s always crowded & hard to get tickets in holiday season!
- Apple Circus at Lincoln Center. Through Jan. 27. Tickets from $25. Free for kids under 2. More info.
- STOMP NYC. A super fun & entertaining show! More info.
- Yeti, Set, Snow! at Swedish Cottage Marionette Theatre in Central Park. Tickets: $8-$12. More info.
- Dr. Seuss’How The Grinch Stole Christmas! at Madison Square Garden. Dec. 13-30. Tickets from $50. More info.
The beloved toy store is back in NY. Huge, with the popular piano room and many things to explore.
Kids’ Museums in NYC