Summer Streets is an awesome annual event in which some of the main NYC streets are closed to cars and opened to the public to walk, run and bike. Nearly 7 miles of streets in Manhattan will go car-free.
Summer Streets is an event created by NYC DOT (New York City Department of Transportation).
When is Summer Streets?
It takes place on 3 consecutive Saturdays every summer.
This year Summer Streets will be on:
- Saturday, August 5
- Saturday, August 12: NYC DOT will also add the “Shared Streets“ this day! Read more below.
- Saturday, August 19
What time is Summer Streets?
From 7am to 1pm.
Who is this event for?
For people of all ages and ability levels, including families with kids!
Where is Summer Streets?
From Brooklyn Bridge to Central Park along Lafayette St. & Park Avenue.
- Starts at Lafayette & Chambers St.
- Ends at East 72nd St. & Central Park.
Summer Streets Activities & Rest Stops
All activities are free of charge and for people of all ages and ability levels.
Click here for the complete guide of Summer Streets Activities.
You’ll find 5 “REST STOPS” with activities and entertainment:
- Foley Square Rest Stop by the Brooklyn Bridge: you’ll see the VITA COCO Water Slide which unfortunately is already SOLD OUT. Prior free registration was required to participate.
- Soho Rest Stop at Lafayette & Spring St.
- Astor Place Rest Stop at Lafayette St. & E 8th St. It has a dog park.
- Midtown Rest Stop at Park Ave. & E 25th St.
- Uptown Rest Stop at Park Ave & E 52nd St.
- New Location Added! Central Park Rest Stop on Park Ave. & E 72nd St.
The rest stops include a water slide, fitness classes, a dog park, arts & crafts workshops, walking tours to explore NYC Parks & NYC buildings.
An extra section will be closed to cars and opened for people.
The incredible opportunity to explore more of this area by foot.
Restaurants in this neighborhood will add outdoor seating.
When? On August 12.
Where? In Lower Manhattan.
Bordered by Broadway, Water Street, Park Row and State Street.
What time? From 11am to 4pm.
Who is this event for? People of all ages and ability levels, including kids!
Shared Streets Map: Click here to download a map
Activities: Click here for the complete guide of activities in Shared Streets. Some of them are:
- Lower Manhattan THEN and NOW
- Lower Manhattan FILM & TELEVISION Walking Tour
- Lower Manhattan Tours
- NYC History Trivia Quiz Game
- Creative Insider’s Guide to Lower Manhattan
- Garden Games
- Get Up & Ride
- Manhattan by Sail
- Hungry March Band
- & much more!
Hope you take advantage of NYC Summer Streets!